TABLE OF CONTENTS
2. What is SSR assessment, monitoring and evaluation?
3. Why is gender important to SSR assessment, monitoring and evaluation?
3.1 Strengthen the delivery of security and justice
3.2 Inclusive and participatory SSR
3.3 Build non-discriminatory, human rights promoting and representative security institutions
4. How can gender be integrated into SSR assessments, monitoring and evaluation?
4.1 How can gender be integrated into SSR assessment?
What is assessed?
How to assess?
How can gender be integrated into existing SSR assessment frameworks?
4.2 How can gender be integrated into SSR monitoring and evaluation?
What is monitored/evaluated?
How to monitor/evaluate?
4.3 How can gender audits of security sector institutions be conducted?
Who can conduct gender audits?
What is audited?
How to audit?
4.4 How can gender mainstreaming initiatives in security sector institutions be monitored and evaluated?
Who monitors and evaluates?
What is monitored and evaluated?
How to monitor and evaluate?
5. Key recommendations
6. Additional resources
Annex A: Examples of indicators: justice reform and gender
This tool explores two dimensions of gender-responsive assessments, monitoring and evaluation (M&E).
First, the tool looks at existing SSR assessment frameworks, monitoring and evaluation strategies, and how to include a gender perspective in the different tools and approaches.
The tool also discusses gender mainstreaming initiatives in security sector institutions, including how to conduct a gender audit and M&E of gender mainstreaming. Inclusive and participatory processes of data gathering; interdepartmental cooperation and coordination; the collection and use of data disaggregated by sex, age and ethnicity; gender-responsive results-based management; gender-sensitive indicators; and focus group interviews are tools and methods presented and discussed in this publication.
The tool includes:
- An introduction to assessment, monitoring and evaluation
- The rationale behind the inclusion of gender issues and ways in which this can strengthen and enhance assessment, M&E
- Entry points for incorporating gender into SSR assessment, M&E
- How to conduct gender audits of security sector institutions, as well as monitor and evaluate the impact of gender mainstreaming initiatives