Legislative Oversight and Political Control have a fundamental role in democratic stability. Since 2018, DCAF has been supporting the Colombian Congress in strengthening its role in the oversight of the security sector. This work aligns with the Swiss government actions to strengthen governance principles in the security sector at the international level.
In collaboration with the University of Los Andes, DCAF launched its most recent publication on "Legislative Oversight and Political Control of the Security and Defence Sector in Colombia" (“Seguimiento Legislativo y Control Político al Sector de Seguridad y Defensa en Colombia"), authored by Mónica Pachón Buitrago, Associate Professor from University of Los Andes.
During the event, Juan Carlos Pinzón, Former Minister of Defence and Former Ambassador of Colombia to the USA; and Colombian Senator Rodrigo Lara gave some insights about political control and the role of security sector institutions in Colombia.
- María Margarita Zuleta, Director School of Government University of Los Andes
- Yvonne Baumann, Swiss Ambassador to Colombia
- Cristina Hoyos, Head DCAF LAC Unit
- Mónica Pachón, Associate Professor of the Faculty of Architecture and Design at University of Los Andes
- Rodrigo Lara, Colombian Senator
- Juan Carlos Pinzón, Former Minister of Defense and Former Ambassador of Colombia to the USA
Access the full event here: https://youtu.be/UzVOVwZ_Qik