DCAF is organizing a public webinar on the margins of the 2022 High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development, entitled ‘Building Partnerships to Promote Security Sector Reform and Sustainable Development’.
This side event will unpack how the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and Security Sector Reform (SSR) are mutually reinforcing frameworks and how partnerships between actors working on the security-development nexus contribute to SDGs 16 and 17 being realized.
Co-hosted with the Permanent Mission of the Slovak Republic to the United Nations, the event will examine how different UN entities have implemented the security-development nexus in practice. Drawing on the recent report of the UN Secretary General on Strengthening Security Sector Reform — which makes sustainable development one of the four priorities for the UN in the context of SSR — the event will bring together representatives of key UN entities and national representatives from the Global South.
- Collen Kelapile, President of UN ECOSOC, Ambassador & Permanent Representative of Botswana to the UN
- Ingrid Brocková, State Secretary of the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs of the Slovak Republic
- Michal Mlynár, Ambassador & Permanent Representative of Slovakia to the UN
- Luis Carrilho, Police Advisor & Director of Police Division, Office of Rule of Law and Security Institutions, UNDPO
- Florence Kajuju, Ombudsman of Kenya & Secretary General of the African Ombudsman and Mediators Association
- Walid Alem, Senior Adviser to the Permanent Observer of the African Union to the UN
- George Conway, Deputy Director, UNDP Crisis Bureau
- Thomas Guerber, Director, DCAF
The event will be held in English.