DCAF – Geneva Centre for Security Sector Governance) is dedicated to improving the security of states and their peoples within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights. DCAF contributes to making peace and development more sustainable by assisting partner states and international actors supporting these states, to improve the governance of their security sector through inclusive and participatory reforms. It creates innovative knowledge products, promotes norms and good practices, provides legal and policy advice and supports capacity‐building of both state and non‐state security sector stakeholders.
DCAF's Foundation Council comprises 63 member states, the Canton of Geneva and six permanent observers. Active in over 70 countries, DCAF is internationally recognized as one of the world's leading centres of excellence for security sector governance (SSG) and security sector reform (SSR). DCAF is guided by the principles of neutrality, impartiality, local ownership, inclusive participation, and gender equality. For more information please visit www.dcaf.ch
With an eleven-person team, the Gender and Security Division leads DCAF’s work promoting gender equality by providing policy advice, conducting practical research and implementing operational projects.
For our Gender and Security Division, we are looking for an experienced, dynamic, and creative individual to be our next:
Project Officer (PO) – 100%
Location: Geneva, with frequent travel to different regions of the world
Starting date: September 2019
Duration: Indefinite contract
Under the supervision of the Programme Manager, the PO will support the development, implementation, and monitoring of complex research projects for the Division and work collaboratively with other DCAF divisions. This position requires knowledge and familiarity with gender and security, experience in applied research, strong interpersonal skills, and good understanding of security policy.
- Support the design, organization and implementation of activities with partners, including policy initiatives, training, conferences, meetings, assessments, research projects, etc.
- Meet and coordinate with partner organizations, donors and other stakeholders
- Monitor execution of budgets for projects
- Draft concept notes, policy briefs and notes, implementation/ monitoring plans, terms of reference and other project documents
- Facilitate training sessions
- Support and/or coordinate applied research initiatives
- Draft and edit publications and supervise consultants
- Represent the Gender and Security Division in internal and external meetings as required
Education, competencies and experience:
- Master’s degree or equivalent professional experience in international affairs, governance, development, security studies, gender studies, or related disciplines.
- At least two years of professional experience in the field of gender equality, and women, peace and security.
- Good knowledge of the gender and security legal normative framework; familiarity with international organizations, especially the UN system, with policy discussions regarding gender and security, as well as security sector governance and reform.
- Proven writing and editing skills.
- Experience delivering training on gender and security or related topics. Good facilitation skills.
- Experience in applied research on gender equality and security, women, peace and security, and related fields.
- Native fluency in English and professional command of French. Competence in other languages, especially Spanish or Arabic, will be valued.
- Familiarity with and / or experience from peacekeeping issues are a plus.
- Swiss or EU citizenship, or a valid work permit for Switzerland at the time of application, is a prerequisite.
Personal competences and attitude:
- Good organizational skills.
- Excellent social and interpersonal skills in a multicultural environment.
- “Roll up your sleeves” and can-do attitude and excellent sense of planning, organization and management of priorities.
- Ability to think and act independently and creatively, to work with colleagues at all levels, to multitask, and to meet tight deadlines.
- Speed, precision and accuracy in executing tasks.
- Diplomacy, tact, discretion, and an impeccable record for integrity and professional ethical standards.
- a rewarding, dynamic and challenging work experience
- the chance to be part of a multicultural team of supportive, hardworking and values-driven people
- the chance to contribute to improving security of states and their peoples within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights
If you think you are a good match for DCAF and the position advertised, please send your application to email@example.com by 31 August 2019 with the subject heading “Project Officer”, enclosing:
- curriculum vitae
- a motivational letter outlining how your qualifications meet the above requirements
DCAF is committed to equality of opportunity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of sex, age, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity, religion, or ethnicity.