Geneva Centre for Security Sector Governance (DCAF) is dedicated to improving the security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights. DCAF contributes to making peace and development more sustainable by assisting partner states and international actors supporting these states, to improve the governance of their security sector through inclusive and participatory reforms. It creates innovative knowledge products, promotes norms and good practices, provides legal and policy advice and supports capacity‐building of both state and non‐state security sector stakeholders.
DCAF's Foundation Council comprises 63 member states, the Canton of Geneva and six permanent observers. Active in over 70 countries, DCAF is internationally recognized as one of the world's leading centres of excellence for security sector governance (SSG) and security sector reform (SSR). DCAF is guided by the principles of neutrality, impartiality, local ownership, inclusive participation, and gender equality. For more information please visit www.dcaf.ch.
For our Middle East and North Africa Division, we are looking for a:
Project Officer Lebanon (100%)
Location: Beirut, Lebanon
Starting date: August 2019 (negotiable)
Duration: 1 year (extendable)
Reporting to the Head of Beirut Office, the Project Officer is responsible for supporting the implementation of projects and activities in Lebanon, including but not limited to:
- Support the development of DCAF’s programmes related to security and justice sector reform in Lebanon, including support for conceptualizing, designing, planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating programmes and projects
- Support to the donors’ relations, including budget monitoring and programme and project reporting
- Support fundraising activities, including the development of country strategy documents, planning sheets, concept notes, etc.
- Draft project related documents such as project proposals, analytical reports and evaluations
- Liaise with and provide ongoing support to other colleagues in Beirut Office
- Help to identify project opportunities and develop project ideas and proposals
- Co-design, co-organize and implement activities with partners
- Support the organization and conduct of programme events
- An advanced university degree in law, political sciences, international relations, development, security studies or related field
- A minimum of 3 years work experience in public sector reform or management, preferably within the fields of security and/or justice reform
- Proven track record in managing projects, preferably in Lebanon
- Excellent command of Arabic and English; knowledge of French is an asset
- Very good writing skills, both in Arabic and in English
- Strong communication skills and ability to work in an international team
- Cultural sensitivity, ideally familiarity with the Lebanese security and justice sector
- a rewarding, dynamic and challenging work experience
- the chance to be part of a multicultural team of supportive, hardworking and values-driven people
- the chance to contribute to improving security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights
If you think you are a good match for DCAF and the position advertised, please send your application to Ms. Zeina Assaad (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 15 July 2019 with the subject heading ‘’PO Lebanon 2018’’, enclosing:
- a one-page motivational statement in English describing your relevant experience and what you can bring to DCAF
- a concise CV (maximum two to three pages)
- A filled application form (include here the link to the form /sites/default/files/imce/DCAF%20APPLICATION%20FORM.docx)
DCAF is committed to equality of opportunity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of sex, age, disability, gender identity, religion, or ethnicity.