Project Officer (100%), Business and Security Division
DCAF – Geneva Centre for Security Sector Governance is dedicated to improving the security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights. DCAF contributes to making peace and development more sustainable by assisting partner states and international actors supporting these states, to improve the governance of their security sector through inclusive and participatory reforms. It creates innovative knowledge products, promotes norms and good practices, provides legal and policy advice and supports capacity‐building of both state and non‐state security sector stakeholders.
DCAF's Foundation Council comprises 63 member states, the Canton of Geneva and six permanent observers. Active in over 70 countries, DCAF is internationally recognized as one of the world's leading centres of excellence for security sector governance (SSG) and security sector reform (SSR). DCAF is guided by the principles of neutrality, impartiality, local ownership, inclusive participation, and gender equality. For more information please visit www.dcaf.ch
DCAF’s Business and Security Division works with business, governments and communities to improve security, sustainable development and respect for human rights. We are a strategic implementing partner for both the Montreux Document and the International Code of Conduct for Private Security Service Providers (ICoC) and an Observer to the Voluntary Principles on security and Human Rights (VPs). In partnership with the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), our work supports companies operating in complex environments to ensure that human rights are integrated into their business practices. For more information on the Montreux Document Forum see: www.mdforum.ch
DCAF’s Business and Security Division is looking for a motivated and experienced individual to be our next:
Project Officer, Private Security Regulation (100%)
Starting date: 01 December 2019 or upon mutual agreement
Duration: 12 months fixed-term contract, with possibility of extension
The Project Officer will form part of our programmatic area working to strengthen private security regulation through the development of corresponding knowledge products, the support to international policy initiatives (notably the Montreux Document and the Montreux Document Forum), and national-level implementation of norms and good practices.
Key areas of operation:
- Management of DCAF’s tasks as Secretariat of the Montreux Document Forum, notably regarding Geneva-based and regional policy events and meetings as well as the legal and policy advice provided to national stakeholders. This includes the development of project proposals, logistical and administrative support, and financial management of projects.
- Monitor key developments in the private security sector and security trends, procurement policies and regulatory frameworks, identifying gaps and concerns.
- Contribute to applied policy research that promotes good governance of the private security sector at international, regional and national levels
- Advanced degree in political sciences/ international relations, economics, business, international human rights or humanitarian law, or related field
- Detailed knowledge of Human Rights, International Humanitarian Law and multi-stakeholder and international initiatives, including the Montreux Document Forum, the International Code of Conduct for Private Security Providers, the Voluntary Principles on Security and Human Rights and the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights
- At least 2 years work experience in project development and management related to oversight, accountability, and effectiveness of the (private) security sector, including in the organisation of conferences, workshops and training activities
- Experience of engagement with key stakeholders in public institutions, parliaments, civil society, and the private sector
- Demonstrated ability to draft, review and edit texts
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relationships in a dynamic, multi-cultural environment
- Ability to proactively plan and implement the project, including managing multiple priorities
- Availability to travel
- Fluent in French and English (oral and written), fluency in Arabic or Spanish a plus
- Swiss or EU citizenship or a valid work permit for Switzerland at the time of application is a pre-requisite
- a rewarding, dynamic and challenging work experience
- the chance to be part of a multicultural team of supportive, hardworking and values-driven people
- the chance to contribute to improving security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights
If you think you are a good match for DCAF and the position advertised, please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 November 2019 with the subject heading “Project Officer Private Security Regulation”, enclosing:
- a one-page motivational statement in English describing your relevant experience and what you can bring to DCAF
- a concise CV (maximum two pages)
DCAF is committed to equality of opportunity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of sex, age, disability, gender identity, religion, or ethnicity.
Individuals who seek to serve with DCAF in any individual capacity will be required, if short-listed, to complete a self-attestation stating that they have not committed, been convicted of, nor prosecuted for, any criminal offence and have not been involved, by act or omission, in the commission of any violation of international human rights law or international humanitarian law.
Please note that only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.