The Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF) is dedicated to improving the security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights. DCAF contributes to making peace and development more sustainable by assisting partner states and international actors supporting these states, to improve the governance of their security sector through inclusive and participatory reforms. It creates innovative knowledge products, promotes norms and good practices, provides legal and policy advice and supports capacity‐building of both state and non‐state security sector stakeholders.
DCAF's Foundation Council comprises 63 member states, the Canton of Geneva and six permanent observers. Active in over 70 countries, DCAF is internationally recognized as one of the world's leading centres of excellence for security sector governance (SSG) and security sector reform (SSR). DCAF is guided by the principles of neutrality, impartiality, local ownership, inclusive participation, and gender equality. For more information please visit www.dcaf.ch.
For our Europe and Central Asia Division, we are looking for a dynamic and highly qualified expert to be our next:
Project Officer (100%)
Title: Project Officer
Unit: Europe and Central Asia Division, Operations Department (OPS ECA)
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Reporting: The Project Officer will be assigned to the DCAF’s Europe and Central Asia Division, and reporting directly to the Head of Police Programme (Project Manager).
Tasks and responsibilities: The incumbent will be supporting DCAF the implementation the Police Assistance Project on Strategic Reform Capacities for the National Police of Ukraine (PSRC-NPU). The project aims at supporting and institutionalizing strategic management and reform capacities at NPU and is part of a wider assistance Programme of Global Affairs Canada (GAC), Peace and Stabilization Operations Program (PSOPs) in Ukraine. The incumbent will support in the PSRC-NPU’s implementation, monitor and review while based at DCAF Geneva headquarters.
Key areas of responsibility include:
Assist in the implementation, monitoring and review of the Police Assistance Project on Strategic Reform Capacities for the National Police of Ukraine (PSRC-NPU)
Contribute to the drafting, reviewing and editing of project-related documents and reports.
Carry out logistical and administrative tasks for the smooth running of project activities, including financial control, assisting with the booking of travel arrangements, preparing contracts, maintaining appropriate hard copy and electronic materials, developing expert terms of reference, implementing project procedures etc.
Maintain frequent and clear communication and effective working relationships with project team members, external experts and key project counterparts and beneficiaries.
Perform any other duties assigned to her/him by the PSRC-NPU programme manager or the Head of the OPS ECA division.
- Advanced University degree in political science, international relations, security studies, development studies, conflict studies, or a related field;
- At least 3 years of relevant professional experience especially in project cycle management activities such has implementing, controlling, monitoring, reviewing, evaluating and reporting (narrative and financial aspects);
- Demonstrated financial control and reporting capacities;
- Fluent in English, both spoken and written; excellent written and oral communication skills, including strong drafting and editing capacities;
- Strong analytical and organizational skills with effective time management and ability to prioritize and plan own work to meet deadlines – periodically working with minimum supervision;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relationships in a multi-cultural environment.
- Fluency in Ukrainian/ Russian language will be considered an important asset.
- Relevant field experience in projects supporting national police reforms will be considered an asset.
- Swiss or EU citizenship, or a valid work permit for Switzerland at the time of application, is a prerequisite.
- a rewarding, dynamic and challenging work experience
- the chance to be part of a multicultural team of supportive, hardworking and values-driven people
- the chance to contribute to improving security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights
Indicative starting date: 1 October 2019 (*)
If you think you are a good match for DCAF and the position advertised, please send your application to ECARecruitment@dcaf.ch by 23/08/2019 with the subject heading “Project Officer ECA”, enclosing:
- a one-page motivational statement in English describing your relevant experience and what you can bring to DCAF
- a concise CV (maximum two pages)
Candidates are requested to provide an indication of their employment availability and preferred start date.
Only candidates invited for an interview will be contacted.
DCAF is committed to equality of opportunity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of sex, age, disability, gender identity, religion, or ethnicity.
(*) The project is pending final approval of project donor - Global Affairs Canada (GAC), Peace and Stabilization Operations Program (PSOPs). The actual employment and start date are conditional to GAC’s decisions.