DCAF – Geneva Centre for Security Sector Governance is dedicated to improving the security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights. DCAF contributes to making peace and development more sustainable by assisting partner states and international actors supporting these states, to improve the governance of their security sector through inclusive and participatory reforms. It creates innovative knowledge products, promotes norms and good practices, provides legal and policy advice and supports capacity‐building of both state and non‐state security sector stakeholders.
DCAF's Foundation Council comprises 63 member states, the Canton of Geneva and six permanent observers. Active in over 70 countries, DCAF is internationally recognized as one of the world's leading centres of excellence for security sector governance (SSG) and security sector reform (SSR). DCAF is guided by the principles of neutrality, impartiality, local ownership, inclusive participation, and gender equality. For more information please visit www.dcaf.ch
For our Policy and Research Division, we are looking for a motivated and flexible individual to serve as:
Project Officer (100 %)
Location: Geneva (with minimal travel as required)
Starting date: 15 August or upon mutual agreement
Duration: 12 months fixed-term contract with possibility of extension
The Project Officer will support the Policy and Research Division in implementing research projects related to multilateral organisations, with a focus, among others, on the UN and the OSCE.
Key areas of operation:
- Conduct targeted research for projects related to multilateral organisations and their support to security sector governance and reform
- Prepare contracts, draft high-quality narrative and financial reports for donors, and prepare and monitor project budgets
- Assist in the editing and layout of publications
- Carry out logistical and administrative tasks
- Contribute to both corporate and divisional processes, products and activities
- Upon request, represent DCAF at conferences, meetings, and other fora, and liaise with partners and other stakeholders
- Perform other tasks as required.
- Advanced university degree (Masters) in international relations, political science, law, peace, or security studies
- At least 3 years of policy and research experience in the field of institutional reform, governance, and/or security sector governance and reform
- Experience or familiarity with multilateral organisations (e.g. UN, AU, EU, OSCE) as well as familiarity with relevant international policy agendas and discourses, in particular the sustaining peace agenda
- Outstanding writing, analytical and methodological skills
- Demonstrated ability to draft, review and edit texts suitable for publication and for different target audiences
- Experience in conducting applied research, ideally within a research institute
- Strong diplomatic and interpersonal skills and team-oriented approach
- Excellent administrative and organisational skills.
- Excellent command of English is essential; other languages, in particular French, is highly desirable
- Swiss or EU citizenship or a valid work permit for Switzerland at the time of application is a pre-requisite
- a rewarding, dynamic and challenging work experience
- the chance to be part of a multicultural team of supportive, hardworking and values-driven people
- the chance to contribute to improving security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights
If you think you are a good match for DCAF and the position advertised, please send your application to email@example.com by 12 July 2019 with the subject heading “PRDiv PO - Multilaterals”, enclosing:
- a one-page motivational statement in English describing your relevant experience and what you can bring to DCAF
- a concise CV (maximum two pages), including a list of relevant publications
Interviews and tests will be conducted the second half of July. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
DCAF is committed to equality of opportunity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of sex, age, disability, gender identity, religion, or ethnicity.