DCAF – Geneva Centre for Security Sector Governance is dedicated to improving the security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights. DCAF contributes to making peace and development more sustainable by assisting partner states and international actors supporting these states, to improve the governance of their security sector through inclusive and participatory reforms. It creates innovative knowledge products, promotes norms and good practices, provides legal and policy advice and supports capacity‐building of both state and non‐state security sector stakeholders.
DCAF's Foundation Council comprises 63 member states, the Canton of Geneva and six permanent observers. Active in over 70 countries, DCAF is internationally recognized as one of the world's leading centres of excellence for security sector governance (SSG) and security sector reform (SSR). DCAF is guided by the principles of neutrality, impartiality, local ownership, inclusive participation, and gender equality. For more information please visit www.dcaf.ch
For our Sub Saharan Africa Division (SSAD), we are looking for a young and dynamic individual to be our next :
Project Administration and Communication Intern
Starting date: September 2020
Duration: 6 months
Working hours: 40 hours a week during holidays otherwise 15 hours / week
The ideal candidate will be a native French speaker with good command of English language and will have a degree in international relations, political science or other relevant background for the position. In addition, she/he will show a proven and strong interest in governance related matters, especially in Sub-Sahara Africa.
Support to project implementation (Sahel focused)
- Drafting, translating, proofreading and editing of documents such as terms of reference, letters, reports, project proposals, concept notes, etc
- Compiling and sending the monthly newsletter
- Updating the Division website and social media as necessary
- Help the development of SharePoint platform
- Assist in monitoring and reporting on project activities
- Assist in preparing DCAF documents/publications, including presentations, posters, flyers, other promotional material in English and French
- Conduct background research on specific issues
- Participate in internal meetings
- Contribute to the team’s administrative duties
- Update DCAF hard copy and online communication materials
The following skills are required
- French or English mother tongue or proficiency, excellent command of the second working language
- Graduate in international relations, human rights, law, history, ethnology, or a related field
- Motivated to pursue a career in international cooperation and have an interest in security, governance and human rights
- Good writing and organizational skills
- Command of IT tools - Windows environment - (text, layout, calculation tables, etc.)
- Experience in managing a publishing software (In Design) and CMS is an asset (Drupal)
- Proven ability to work in a team environment with minimal supervision
- Spirit of initiative, dynamism, flexibility and ability to work independently
- Interest and knowledge in security sector governance
Swiss or EU citizenship or a valid permit for Switzerland at the time of application is a pre-requisite.
- a rewarding, dynamic and challenging work experience
- the chance to be part of a multicultural team of supportive, hardworking and values-driven people
- the chance to contribute to improving security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights
Candidates must send their application in English or French, including a one-page cover letter and a CV to email@example.com, by 9th August 2020, with the subject line “Application for DCAF internship in Sub Sahara Division”
DCAF is committed to equality of opportunity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of sex, age, disability, gender identity, religion, or ethnicity.
Individuals who seek to serve with DCAF in any individual capacity will be required, if short-listed, to complete a self-attestation stating that they have not committed, been convicted of, nor prosecuted for, any criminal offence and have not been involved, by act or omission, in the commission of any violation of international human rights law or international humanitarian law.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.