DCAF – Geneva Centre for Security Sector Governance is dedicated to improving the security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights. DCAF contributes to making peace and development more sustainable by assisting partner states and international actors supporting these states, to improve the governance of their security sector through inclusive and participatory reforms. It creates innovative knowledge products, promotes norms and good practices, provides legal and policy advice and supports capacity‐building of both state and non‐state security sector stakeholders.
DCAF's Foundation Council comprises 63 member states, the Canton of Geneva and six permanent observers. Active in over 70 countries, DCAF is internationally recognized as one of the world's leading centres of excellence for security sector governance (SSG) and security sector reform (SSR). DCAF is guided by the operational principles of neutrality, impartiality, local ownership, inclusive participation, and gender equality. DCAF embraces and promotes values of accountability, excellence, inclusivity, integrity and respect. For more information please visit www.dcaf.ch
DCAF’s Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) Unit strives to strengthen citizen security in the LAC region by promoting the application of good governance principles.
For our Latin America and the Caribbean Unit, we are looking for a motivated and dynamic individual to be our next:
Intern – (100 %)
Starting date: 1 of April 2020 or upon mutual agreement
Duration: 6 months
Under the supervision of the Head of the LAC Unit, the intern will contribute to the Unit’s current and new project in the LAC region by offering support in the areas of communication and research. This internship will have a strong learning component in order to enable the candidate to develop relevant skills and knowledge in the area of SSG/R.
Key areas of operation:
- Contribute with background research on SSG/R issues in LAC region to the Unit’s current and new projects
- Support the drafting of communication material and knowledge products, which includes proofreading and translation work
- Assist the Unit in communication matters and the organisation of events
- Support the Unit in administrative matters when needed.
- Currently enrolled in university or recently graduated in a relevant field (e.g. International Relations, Development, Security, Peace Studies, etc.)
- Have not more than one year of relevant work experience
- Good command of written and spoken Spanish and English; knowledge of French is considered an asset
- Good intercultural communication skills and interest to learn more about SSG/R issues in the LAC region
- Swiss or EU citizenship or a valid work permit for Switzerland at the time of application is a pre-requisite
- a rewarding, dynamic and challenging work experience
- the chance to be part of a multicultural team of supportive, hardworking and values-driven people
- the chance to contribute to improving security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights
If you think you are a good match for DCAF and the position advertised, please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org by 10th March 2020 with the subject heading “Intern – LAC Unit”, enclosing:
- a one-page motivational statement in English describing your relevant experience and what you can bring to DCAF
- a concise CV (maximum two pages)
DCAF is committed to equality of opportunity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of sex, age, disability, gender identity, religion, or ethnicity.
Individuals who seek to serve with DCAF in any individual capacity will be required, if short-listed, to complete a self-attestation stating that they have not committed, been convicted of, nor prosecuted for, any criminal offence and have not been involved, by act or omission, in the commission of any violation of international human rights law or international humanitarian law.