COVID-19 is affecting all dimensions of the security sector and brings with it particular challenges for private security.
Not only are private security guards at increased health risk given their constant interaction with the public; they have been considered in most countries as “essential” services and are furthermore being called upon to provide additional services, which can include stepping in for public security providers and medical personal and supporting repatriation operations. These increased and new roles bring with them significant concerns regarding training, vetting, and oversight.
In this context, private security regulators, public oversight mechanisms, and civil society in Latin America face specific challenges regulating and holding the private security sector accountable.
DCAF is thus convening a webinar of regional practitioners to exchange lessons learnt and reflect on where regional cooperation and international support is required. Please note the webinar will be held in Spanish.
Date: May 27, 2020
Time: 15:30 – 17:00 CET
The discussion will tackle a number of questions including:
- What are regulatory challenges linked to COVID-19 and how have regulatory bodies reacted to them?
- What are human rights challenges in the private security sector linked to COVID-19, and how can civil society oversee and hold the private security sector accountable for its actions in the COVID-19 crisis?
- Beyond the current immediate effects, what will be the long-term impact of COVID-19 on private security in the region (all)?
- Looking at the adaptations that COVID-19 requires from private security regulators and oversight mechanisms in Latin America, how should cooperation at the national and regional levels be strengthened and what kind of support by international actors is therefore required?
- Lic. Roberto Méndez Retana, Director de Servicios de Seguridad Privada, Ministerio de Seguridad Publica, Costa Rica
- General Carlos Samuel Tuse Lloclla, Superintendente Nacional de Control de Servicios de Seguridad, Armas, Municiones y Explosivos de Uso Civil, Peru
- Sra. Carmen Rosa de Léon, Directora Ejecutiva, IEPADES, Guatemala
- S.E. Mirko Giulietti, Embajador de Suiza en Costa Rica, El Salvador, Nicaragua y Panamá
TO REGISTER CLICK here