Finance Officer (80-100%)
Business and Security Division
DCAF – the Geneva Centre for Security Sector Governance is dedicated to improving the security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights. DCAF contributes to making peace and development more sustainable by assisting partner states and international actors supporting these states, to improve the governance of their security sector through inclusive and participatory reforms. It creates innovative knowledge products, promotes norms and good practices, provides legal and policy advice and supports capacity‐building of both state and non‐state security sector stakeholders.
DCAF's Foundation Council comprises 63 member states, the Canton of Geneva and six permanent observers. Active in over 70 countries, DCAF is internationally recognized as one of the world's leading centres of excellence for security sector governance (SSG) and security sector reform (SSR). DCAF is guided by the principles of neutrality, impartiality, local ownership, inclusive participation, and gender equality. For more information please visit www.dcaf.ch
DCAF Business and Security Division works with business, governments and communities to improve security, sustainable development and respect for human rights. We are a strategic implementing partner for both the Montreux Document and the International Code of Conduct for Private Security Service Providers (ICoC) and an Observer to the Voluntary Principles on security and Human Rights (VPs). In partnership with the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), our work supports companies operating in complex environments to ensure that human rights are integrated into their business practices. For more information, please see: https://businessandsecurity.dcaf.ch/
We are looking for a motivated and experienced individual for the role of:
Finance Officer (80-100%)
Starting date: 15 July 2019
Duration: 5 months – Maternity Cover
The Finance Officer is responsible for the financial reporting and oversight of the Security and Human Rights Implementation Mechanism (SHRIM) Fund and for providing accounting and finance management support to the Division. For more information on the SHRIM see: www.securityhumanrightshub.org
- Responsible for SHRIM reporting, financial oversight, budget management and external audits.
- Liaise with SHRIM partners on financial requirements and reporting.
- Assist in the drafting of budgets and financial due diligence for new SHRIM projects.
- Process payments orders, expense claims, invoices and other finance documents. Keep central electronic files for internal reference, audits and donor reporting purposes.
- Be the Division’s point of contact for financial matters and liaise with DCAF Finance Department.
- Monitor project costs and liaise with project leads.
- Regularly report to the Head of Division on any financial matters that require management attention.
- A degree and/or diploma in accounting.
- At least three years of professional work experience in accounting and finance, preferably in the field of international development.
- Proven track record in managing externally funded project budgets, producing financial reports for donors and preparing documentation for audits.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relationships in a dynamic, multi-cultural environment.
- Excellent administrative / organizational / financial management skills.
- Ability to proactively plan and implement work, including managing multiple priorities.
- Fluent in French and English (oral and written), fluency in German / Spanish appreciated.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Microsoft Office (proficiency in Microsoft Excel).
- Swiss or EU citizenship or a valid work permit for Switzerland at the time of application is a pre-requisite.
- A rewarding, dynamic and challenging work experience
- The chance to be part of a multicultural team of supportive, hardworking and values-driven people
- The chance to contribute to improving security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights
If you think you are a good match for DCAF and the position advertised, please send your application to email@example.com as soon as possible and by 30 June 2019 at latest with the subject heading “Finance Officer BSD”, enclosing:
- A one-page motivational statement in English describing your relevant experience and what you can bring to DCAF
- A concise CV (maximum two pages)
DCAF is committed to equality of opportunity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of sex, age, disability, gender identity, religion, or ethnicity.
Please note that only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.