DCAF – Geneva Centre for Security Sector Governance is dedicated to improving the security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights. DCAF contributes to making peace and development more sustainable by assisting partner states and international actors supporting these states, to improve the governance of their security sector through inclusive and participatory reforms. It creates innovative knowledge products, promotes norms and good practices, provides legal and policy advice and supports capacity‐building of both state and non‐state security sector stakeholders.
DCAF's Foundation Council comp<rises 63 member states, the Canton of Geneva and six permanent observers. Active in over 70 countries, DCAF is internationally recognized as one of the world's leading centres of excellence for security sector governance (SSG) and security sector reform (SSR). DCAF is guided by the principles of neutrality, impartiality, local ownership, inclusive participation, and gender equality. For more information please visit www.dcaf.ch
DCAF’s Sub-Saharan Africa Division (SSAD) strives to strengthen citizen security in the Sub-Saharan Africa region by promoting the application of good governance principles. For our SSA Division we are looking for a dynamic and highly motivated individual to be our:
Finance Officer (80%)
Starting date: August 2 (starting date negotiable)
The Finance officer provides essential support to the effective management of the Division’s finances and project grants. Working closely with both the Head of Division and the Finance-admin Officer, the role requires a firm understanding of DCAF’s financial management practices, donor financial reporting requirements, and the principles of accountable grant management.
- Ensure the prompt review and processing of Divisional and project financial transactions to ensure they are properly authorized, fully recorded, and conform to the relevant guidelines;
- Ensuring the Division’s compliance of all DCAF policies, procedures, rules and regulations related to financial resources issues;
- Collaborate closely with the Division’s project teams to provide comprehensive and up to date financial information which will inform decision-making and support future project/programme financial planning;
- Provide finance support the Head of Department, including on projections and annual budgeting, as required;
- Budget management: monitor and regularly report to the Head of Division on the financial status of the projects and alert the Head of Division of any financial matters that require management attention;
- Ensure coordination with the project coordinators in Mali, The Gambia and Niger on financial aspects;
- Produce financial reports as requested and submit changes/corrections to the finance department;
- Follow up on incomplete payment documents with the project team and external parties where needed and verify whether the courier documents received from the project office are complete and accurate;
- Be the focal point for audits: monitor compliance, provide information to auditors and liaise with the finance department and auditors on audit requirements.
- A degree and/or diploma in accounting;
- At least five years of professional work experience in accounting and finance, preferably in the field of international development;
- Proven track record in managing externally funded project budgets, producing financial reports for donors and preparing documentation for audits;
- Fluency in English and French;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relationships in a dynamic, multi-cultural environment;
- Excellent financial management and organizational skills;
- Swiss or EU citizenship or a valid work permit for Switzerland at the time of application is a pre-requisite.
- A rewarding, dynamic and challenging work experience
- The chance to be part of a multicultural team of supportive, hardworking and values-driven people
- The chance to contribute to improving security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights
If you think you are a good match for DCAF and the position advertised, please send your application to email@example.com by the 31st July 2019 with the subject heading “Finance Officer SSAD”, enclosing:
- A one-page motivational statement in English describing your relevant experience and what you can bring to DCAF
- A concise CV (maximum two pages)
DCAF is committed to equality of opportunity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of sex, age, disability, gender identity, religion, or ethnicity.