DCAF – Geneva Centre for Security Sector Governance is dedicated to improving the security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights. DCAF contributes to making peace and development more sustainable by assisting partner states and international actors supporting these states, to improve the governance of their security sector through inclusive and participatory reforms. It creates innovative knowledge products, promotes norms and good practices, provides legal and policy advice and supports capacity‐building of both state and non‐state security sector stakeholders.
DCAF's Foundation Council comprises 63 member states, the Canton of Geneva and six permanent observers. Active in over 70 countries, DCAF is internationally recognized as one of the world's leading centers of excellence for security sector governance (SSG) and security sector reform (SSR). DCAF is guided by the operational principles of neutrality, impartiality, local ownership, inclusive participation, and gender equality. DCAF embraces and promotes values of accountability, excellence, inclusivity, integrity and respect. For more information please visit www.dcaf.ch
For our Sub-Saharan Africa Division, we are seeking a dynamic, organized and creative individual to support communications around our portfolio of projects in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Communications consultant – Sub-Saharan Africa Division
Starting date: February 2020
Duration: 2 months, with possibility of extension
Under the guidance of the DCAF Head of Communication and the SSAD Head of Division, the Communications consultant for SSAD will assume primary responsibility for designing and planning a Communication and Social Media strategy to promote SSAD’s portfolio of projects specifically.
- Review existing communications tools, platforms and resources available in SSAD – in line with DCAF’s guidelines - in order to understand needs and priorities in terms of communication, social media outreach, content creation and management, visibility and engagement of national and international stakeholders and partners. SSAD’s needs should be assessed both at HQ and country level.
- Design a Divisional level communication strategy and plan tailored for SSAD and in line with DCAF’s communication guidelines. This plan should include the review of and recommendations for changes to SSAD’s content on the DCAF website and the proposal for a periodic newsletter.
- Develop innovative content, products, strategies and solutions to strengthen SSAD web presence, including on social media.
- Support SSAD management in the coordination, improvement and development of the divisional communication and media strategy, in coherence and coordination with DCAF corporate communication policies.
- Support the project teams in putting in place systems for the update of substantial content for SSAD’s web content, newsletter and Twitter and the formatting of content using appropriate software (In Design or other)
- Monitor the performance and ensure the quality of SSAD page, newsletter and social media presence, making recommendations about further developments and improvements.
- A minimum of two years’ relevant work experience.
- Graduate degree in communications, journalism, web design, or another relevant field.
- Oral and written fluency in French and English.
- Prior experience with Grupal, Wordpress, and website management is required.
- Prior experience with Photoshop, InDesign or other similar software is required.
- Prior experience in creating original content (photos, videos, storytelling) and social media management is required.
- Problem-solving and negotiation skills
- Initiative, confidence and ability to offer and implement ideas
- Personal commitment to improving your own knowledge and skills
- Swiss or EU citizenship or a valid work permit for Switzerland at time of application is a pre-requisite
- a rewarding, dynamic and challenging work experience
- the chance to be part of a multicultural team of supportive, hardworking and values-driven people
- the chance to contribute to improving security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights
If you think you are a good match for DCAF and the position advertised, please send your application to email@example.com by 17.01.2020 with the subject heading Communications Consultant - SSAD, enclosing:
- a one-page motivational statement in English describing your relevant experience and what you can bring to DCAF
- a concise CV (maximum two pages);
- Some concrete examples of your work.
DCAF is committed to equality of opportunity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of sex, age, disability, gender identity, religion, or ethnicity.
Individuals who seek to serve with DCAF in any individual capacity will be required, if short-listed, to complete a self-attestation stating that they have not committed, been convicted of, nor prosecuted for, any criminal offence and have not been involved, by act or omission, in the commission of any violation of international human rights law or international humanitarian law