DCAF – Geneva Centre for Security Sector Governance is dedicated to improving the security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights. DCAF contributes to making peace and development more sustainable by assisting partner states and international actors supporting these states, to improve the governance of their security sector through inclusive and participatory reforms. It creates innovative knowledge products, promotes norms and good practices, provides legal and policy advice and supports capacity‐building of both state and non‐state security sector stakeholders.
DCAF's Foundation Council comprises 63 member states, the Canton of Geneva and six permanent observers. Active in over 70 countries, DCAF is internationally recognized as one of the world's leading centres of excellence for security sector governance (SSG) and security sector reform (SSR). DCAF is guided by the principles of neutrality, impartiality, local ownership, inclusive participation, and gender equality. For more information please visit www.dcaf.ch
The Gender and Security Division (GSD) leads DCAF’s work promoting gender equality in security sector reform and governance by providing policy advice, conducting practical research and implementing operational projects. The Division has 11 full- and part-time staff members and we are looking for an experienced, dynamic, and creative individual to be our new:
Administrative Assistant / Event Organiser, Gender and Security (100%)
Starting date: February 2020
Duration: 1-year contract, renewable (funding permitting)
Working closely together with all colleagues in the Gender and Security Division (GSD), the Administrative Assistant will provide administrative and logistical support, in particular to organising workshops, seminars and similar events across the globe as well as in Geneva, including arranging for international travels for participants. The role requires initiative and independence as much as a team spirit approach. More traditional administrative tasks are an integral part of this role.
Key areas of operation:
- Provide support in organising, preparing and conducting events and activities in Geneva and globally, which includes finding and booking conference venues, accommodation, flights and local transport, identifying and liaising with printing and interpretation / translation services etc.
- Assist in identifying and liaising with providers of lay-out and design services, translation and printing in Geneva.
- Carry out administrative tasks for the Division, including but not limited to, liaising with the Resources Department, registering staff members’ absences and keeping track of travel statistics, note-taking at team meetings etc.
- Preparation of payment orders and expense reports for assigned activities and events.
Your experience and profile
- At least three years of professional experience working with similar tasks in an increasingly independent way.
- Proven experience working in an international, multi-cultural environment.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Strong ability to think and act independently and creatively, to work with colleagues at all levels, to multitask, and an excellent sense of planning, organization and management of priorities.
- Excellent social and interpersonal skills and proven experience from a multicultural environment.
- Strong personal commitment to principles of gender equality and diversity.
- Fluent in English, and professional command of French. Other languages a plus.
- a rewarding, dynamic and challenging work experience
- the chance to be part of a multicultural team of supportive, hardworking and values-driven people
- the chance to contribute to improving security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights
If you think you are a good match for DCAF and the advertised position, please send your application to [email@example.com] by 24 January 2020 with the subject heading ‘GSD AA’ enclosing:
- a one-page motivational statement in English describing your relevant experience and what you can bring to DCAF and the advertised position
- a CV (maximum two pages)
Note please that Swiss or EU citizenship or a valid work permit for Switzerland at the time of application is a pre-requisite. DCAF is committed to equality of opportunity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of sex, age, disability, gender identity, religion, or ethnicity.