The Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF) is dedicated to making people and the states they live in more secure. We help countries to develop sound laws, institutions, policies and practices that improve the way the security sector is governed. Good security sector governance – rooted in respect for human rights and the rule of law – is a cornerstone of security and development.
DCAF is a leading global centre of excellence for security sector governance (SSG) and security sector reform (SSR) knowledge and practice. Headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland, we operate in over 70 countries and have a team of more than 170 international staff.
DCAF’s International Security Sector Advisory Team (ISSAT) provides practical support to the international community in its efforts to improve security and justice, primarily in conflict-affected and fragile states. Established in 2008, it works to increase the capacity of the international community to support SSR processes, to enhance the effectiveness and quality of SSR programming, and to facilitate the coordination and coherence of international assistance for nationally driven SSR processes.
We are a dynamic team working with, and across, world-leading government departments, multilateral institutions and experts in the international security and justice sector development arena. You will compliment an experienced, values-driven professional group from a broad variety of backgrounds.
Today, DCAF-ISSAT is looking for a dynamic and committed individual to be our next:
SSR Advisor / Senior SSR Advisor – (100 %)
Location: Geneva, with frequent international travel
Starting date: As soon as possible
Duration: This is a project funded post, the position will be offered on a one-year contract which can be renewed dependent on performance and availability of funding.
Reporting to Head of ISSAT (with delegation to Heads of service lines (advisory field support (AFS), professional development and training (PDT), and advocacy & outreach and knowledge (OAK)), depending on the task), the SSR Advisor / Senior SSR advisor will work in relation to ISSAT’s mandates and activities across all of the service lines
Key areas of operation:
· provide strategic and technical advice and guidance in the area of Security and Justice to ISSAT’s bilateral and multilateral Governing Board Members engaged in security and justice sector reform programme design, assessment and monitoring and evaluation missions;
· lead or contribute to individual Justice and Security Sector Reform support missions related to mappings, assessments, programme design, mentoring, lessons identification, and monitoring and evaluation (M&E);
· lead or contribute to the design and delivery of standardized or tailored training programmes, courses and conferences to meet donor, partner and organizational needs;
· contribute to DCAF-ISSAT’s development and dissemination of knowledge products based on good practice and lessons identified from the field;
· build and maintain effective liaison with DCAF-ISSAT’s Governing Board Members, the wider SSR community, and other actors working on linked thematic areas;
· input to the ISSAT Management Team in strategic planning and prioritisation;
· Over 12 years relevant experience if applying as a Senior SSR Advisor; over 7 years relevant experience if applying as an SSR Advisor;
· Significant knowledge and experience in one or more of the following: governance mechanisms, justice reform, police reform, defence reform, border management, non-state security and justice providers, public financial management.
· Significant knowledge and experience in: assessments, programme design, setting up monitoring mechanisms, evaluations, risk management, political engagement, coordination;
· Programme and project management skills;
· Good communication (verbal and written), influencing and presentation skills;
· Able to analyse situations quickly and effectively, adapt to rapidly changing circumstances and produce workable solutions to meet customer requirements;
· Knowledge of the multilateral approaches to SSR (e.g. AU, EU, OSCE, UN, etc) and familiarity with other bilateral donor approaches, as well as knowledge of latest developments in the fields of rule of law, justice reform including transitional justice, human rights, gender, prevention of violent extremism and migration;
· Masters degree in law, conflict studies, international relations, development, political science, or a related field;
· Fluency in English and French. Other languages desirable (particularly Spanish, Arabic and Portuguese)
· Swiss or EU citizenship, or a valid work permit for Switzerland at the time of application is a pre-requisite
· a rewarding, dynamic and challenging work experience
· the chance to be part of a multicultural team of supportive, hardworking and values-driven people
· the chance to contribute to a securer world
If you think you are a good match for DCAF and the position advertised, please send your application to ISSATrecruitment@dcaf.ch by 6 May 2018 with the subject heading “APPLICATION SSR/Senior SSR Advisor”, enclosing:
• a one-page motivational statement in English describing your story and what you can bring to DCAF
• a concise CV (maximum two pages)
DCAF is an equal opportunities employer that considers applications from all qualified candidates.