The Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF) is dedicated to improving the security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights. DCAF contributes to making peace and development more sustainable by assisting partner states and international actors supporting these states, to improve the governance of their security sector through inclusive and participatory reforms. It creates innovative knowledge products, promotes norms and good practices, provides legal and policy advice and supports capacity‐building of both state and non‐state security sector stakeholders.
DCAF's Foundation Council comprises 62 member states, the Canton of Geneva and six permanent observers. Active in over 70 countries, DCAF is internationally recognized as one of the world's leading centres of excellence for security sector governance (SSG) and security sector reform (SSR). DCAF is guided by the principles of neutrality, impartiality, local ownership, inclusive participation, and gender equality. For more information please visit www.dcaf.ch
For our Programme in Palestine, we are looking for a highly dedicated professional to be our next:
Project Officer – Palestine (100 %)
Location: Ramallah, Palestine
Starting date: 1 March or as per agreement
Duration: 24 month fixed-term contract, with possibility of extension
The Project Officer will support the Senior Programme Manager in the development, follow-up, implementation and coordination of activities in Palestine.
Key areas of responsibility include:
- Support the implementation, monitoring and reporting of security and justice sectors reform projects in Palestine
- Draft project concepts as well as full project proposals for submission to Geneva Headquarters and to donors
- Draft quality narrative and financial reports, within established deadlines for final submission to Geneva Headquarters and/or to donors
- Conduct research on issues relevant to security and justice sector governance and reform in Palestine to present to senior management in Ramallah
- Identify new project opportunities in support of security sector reform in Palestine: carry out needs assessment, identify local partners and analyse donors’ strategic objectives
- Contribute to the development of a monitoring and evaluation system to integrate to the DCAF result based management (RBM) process.
- Represent DCAF at coordination meetings as.
- Master’s degree in political sciences, international relations, law, development, security studies or related field
- Minimum of 2-3 years prior experience in project and grant management
- Excellent command of English; excellent knowledge of Arabic is a strong asset
- Capacity to write and edit reports in English for publication
- Strong communication and organisational skills
- Cultural sensitivity, ideally familiarity with the Arab world. Previous work experience in the oPt a distinct advantage
- a rewarding, dynamic and challenging work experience
- the chance to be part of a multicultural team of supportive, hardworking and values-driven people
- the chance to contribute to improving security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights
If you think you are a good match for DCAF and the position advertised, please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org by 01 February 2019 with the subject heading ‘’PORAM’’, enclosing:
- a one-page motivational statement in English describing your relevant experience and what you can bring to DCAF
- a concise CV (maximum two pages)
DCAF is committed to equality of opportunity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of sex, age, disability, gender identity, religion, or ethnicity.