Headquartered in Geneva, DCAF has a global portfolio and employs over 170 highly qualified international staff. As part of the organisation’s mandate to promote democratic security sector governance, DCAF supports the international community in the development and implementation of norms and good practices in the field of business and security. DCAF’s Public-Private Partnerships (PPP) division is seeking a dynamic and creative individual to serve as Project Assistant (activity level 50-70%). For more information on the work of the PPP Division, please see: www.ppps.dcaf.ch.
The successful applicant will support DCAF’s business and security programme and play an active role in the planning and implementation of policy research and operational programmes that address security and human rights challenges in complex environments. Central to this role is support to DCAF’s work conducted in partnership with the ICRC, please see: www.securityhumanrightshub.org
Key tasks and responsibilities
- Conduct applied policy research on security and human rights
- Actively contribute to the planning, implementation and management of assigned projects to support the implementation of the Voluntary Principles on Security and Human Rights. This notably includes developing project proposals and budgets, monitoring and implementation of projects, liaising with project partners, and preparing operational and financial reports
- Support the development of practical knowledge products (such as handbooks, toolkits, and training modules) Support the organisation of awareness raising and outreach activities
Experience and competencies required
- Knowledge of international business and human rights frameworks, such as the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights and the Voluntary Principles on Security and Human Rights
- Prior experience assisting in the management of projects as well as in the organisation of conferences, workshops and training activities
- Demonstrated ability to draft, review and edit texts
- Fluency in English is essential; Spanish and French highly desirable
- Effective interpersonal / team-working skills
- Excellent administrative, organisational and budget management skills
University graduates or currently enrolled in university studies in a relevant field, including international relations, international human rights and humanitarian law, development, economics or related fields
Swiss or EU citizenship or a valid work permit for Switzerland at time of application a pre-requisite
Starting date: 15 February 2018 or mutually agreed date.
Closing date for applications: 24 January 2018
DCAF is committed to equality of opportunity for all staff, and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of sex, age, disability, gender identity, or ethnicity.
Interested candidates are invited to e-mail their curriculum vitae and an application letter outlining how their qualifications meet the above requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “Project Assistant – Business and Security”. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.