DCAF is a leading institution in the areas of security sector reform (SSR) and security sector governance (SSG). DCAF provides in-country advisory support and practical assistance, promotes appropriate democratic norms at the international and national levels, advocates good practices and makes policy recommendations to ensure effective democratic governance of the security sector. Headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland, we operate in over 70 countries and have a team of more than 170 international staff.
For our Policy and Research Division, we are looking for an organized and motivated individual to be our next:
Project Assistant – Ombuds Institutions Programme (50%)
Location: Geneva, with some travel to sub-Saharan Africa
Starting date: As soon as possible
Duration: 9 month fixed-term contract, with possibility of extension
The project assistant will work in a small team and assist in the implementation of the Policy & Research Division’s Programme on “Ombuds Institutions for the Armed Forces.” In particular, the project assistant will provide support to the International Conference of Ombuds Institutions for the Armed Forces (ICOAF).
Key areas of operation:
• Conduct research on ombuds institutions for the armed forces
• Support in the organization of meetings, capacity building activities and conferences
• Liaise with staff of ombuds institutions and coordinate logistical support, such as booking flights and accommodation
• Draft texts, conduct editing and proofreading
• Perform other tasks as required
• Excellent research and writing skills
• Experience successfully organizing events
• An ability to work independently and take initiative
• Demonstrated knowledge of security sector governance
• Excellent spoken and written command of English
• MA degree (or currently in the process of obtaining) in international affairs, security studies, international law or a related area
• Swiss or EU citizenship or a valid work permit for Switzerland at the time of application is a pre-requisite
• Experience or familiarity with ombuds institutions for the armed forces is a significant advantage
• Knowledge of other languages (particularly French or Russian) is an advantage
• a rewarding, dynamic and challenging work experience
• the chance to be part of a multicultural team of supportive, hardworking and values-driven people
• the chance to contribute to a securer world
If you think you are a good match for DCAF and the position advertised, please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday 18 March 2018 with the subject heading “Application for PA”, enclosing:
• a one-page motivational statement in English describing your story and what you can bring to DCAF
• a concise CV (maximum two pages)
DCAF is an equal opportunities employer that considers applications from all qualified candidates.
Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.