The Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF) is dedicated to making states and people safer. Good security sector governance, based on the rule of law and respect for human rights, is the very basis of development and security. DCAF assists partner states in developing laws, institutions, policies and practices to improve the governance of their security sector through inclusive and participatory reforms based on international norms and good practices.
Headquartered in Geneva, DCAF has a global portfolio and employs over 170 highly qualified interna-tional staff with operational activities in over 70 countries. DCAF is internationally recognized as one of the world’s leading centres of excellence for security sector governance (SSG) and security sector reform (SSR). Since 2013, DCAF has been providing support to the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) in Honduras in the areas of security sector reform, conflict analysis and conflict sensitivity. Within SDC’s new program on citizen security in Honduras, DCAF has been given the mandate to continue to support the reform process in the security sector at national level. In this context, DCAF seeks a
Programme Officer for DCAF’ Police Advisory Programme in Honduras (100%)
with a police background and experience in police reforms and project management who will be based in Tegucigalpa, Honduras. The incumbent will be assisting in the implementation of a multiyear programme and provide technical support and offer advice on all matters related to policing to the programme coordinator and the SDC office in Honduras. The programme’s objective is to support the Ministry of Security and National Police of Honduras in improving their institutional integrity and efficiency within a framework of human rights and meritocracy. SDC’s overall citizen security program in Honduras encompasses two further components on strategic infrastructure investments with the Inter American Bank for Development and a second mandatee responsible for supporting reform implementation in SDC’s two priority regions Golfo de Fonseca and the Mosquitia.
• Support the implementation of DCAF’s Police Advisory Programme in Honduras in close collaboration with the project team on the ground, the SDC and DCAF.
• Provide technical support and advice on police education, policing, police integrity systems and police reforms to the programme coordinator and the SDC office in Honduras.
• Liaise with national authorities, in particular with the Honduran Ministry of Security and the National Police.
• Prepare and organise workshops and trainings for the National Police in Honduras and draft required materials.
• Assist the programme coordinator in monitoring, measuring and provide written reports of political developments and programme results in Honduras.
• Draft relevant project documentation.
Requirements and qualifications:
• Have an impeccable record for integrity and professional ethical standards.
• Background as a police officer and/or experience in training and coaching of police.
• Familiarity with externally supported SSR/G programmes on police reform and capacity building in Latin America and/or in other regions.
• Extensive experience delivering and facilitating workshops, seminars, trainings, consultations and tailormade capacity building activities.
• Experience in results based project management.
• Good knowledge of SSR/G concepts and the security sector situation in Latin America.
• Proven sensitivity to issues of gender equality in SSR/G.
• Excellent interpersonal and organisational skills as well as an ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations with a broad range of stakeholders (especially police) in a challenging environment.
• Excellent communications skills and a perfect command of written and spoken Spanish and English.
Indicative starting date: 1. August 2018
Position location: Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Period of contract: 4 years
Interested candidates meeting the qualifications are invited to e-mail their curriculum vitae together with a motivation letter by 25 June 2018 to Dr. Cristina Hoyos at firstname.lastname@example.org (subject: “Programme Officer”). Interviews will be conducted shortly thereafter.
DCAF is committed to a diverse workplace free of discrimination. Qualified candidates from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. For further information on DCAF, please visit our website: www.dcaf.ch.