The Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF) is dedicated to improving the security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights. DCAF contributes to making peace and development more sustainable by assisting partner states and international actors supporting these states, to improve the governance of their security sector through inclusive and participatory reforms. It creates innovative knowledge products, promotes norms and good practices, provides legal and policy advice and supports capacity‐building of both state and non‐state security sector stakeholders.
DCAF's Foundation Council comprises 62 member states, the Canton of Geneva and six permanent observers. Active in over 70 countries, DCAF is internationally recognized as one of the world's leading centres of excellence for security sector governance (SSG) and security sector reform (SSR). DCAF is guided by the principles of neutrality, impartiality, local ownership, inclusive participation, and gender equality. For more information please visit www.dcaf.ch
For our Europe and Central Asia Division, we are looking for:
Intern - part time or full time
Starting date: immediate
Duration: 4-month paid internship
The incumbent reports to the Head of DCAF Europe and Central Asia Division in implementing projects and activities to foster security sector governance and reform.
Key areas of operation:
- Support implementation of capacity building and policy advising projects;
- Support research on project-related topics;
- Undertake language- editing of project documents and/or publications as necessary;
- Support the logistical set-up of meetings, workshops and other training activities;
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
- Preferably student currently enrolled in studies in law, political science, international relations or other relevant fields;
- Excellent command of English and Russian languages
- Excellent organizational skills, effective time management and ability to prioritize and plan own work to meet deadlines;
- Excellent communication skills (spoken and written); excellent drafting and editing capacities;
- Capacity of working in a team, initiative and flexibility;
- Knowledge of security sector reform issues in the former Soviet Union and Partnership for Peace (PfP) countries will be considered an asset.
- Swiss or EU citizenship or a valid work permit for Switzerland at the time of application is a pre-requisite
- a rewarding, dynamic and challenging work experience
- the chance to be part of a multicultural team of supportive, hardworking and values-driven people
- the chance to contribute to improving security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights
If you think you are a good match for DCAF and the position advertised, please send your application to email@example.com by Friday 22 February 2019 with the subject heading Internship-ECA enclosing:
- a one-page motivational statement in English describing your relevant experience and what you can bring to DCAF
- a concise CV (maximum two pages)
DCAF is committed to equality of opportunity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of sex, age, disability, gender identity, religion, or ethnicity.