The Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF) is dedicated to improving the security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights. DCAF contributes to making peace and development more sustainable by assisting partner states and international actors supporting these states, to improve the governance of their security sector through inclusive and participatory reforms. It creates innovative knowledge products, promotes norms and good practices, provides legal and policy advice and supports capacity‐building of both state and non‐state security sector stakeholders.
DCAF's Foundation Council comprises 62 member states, the Canton of Geneva and six permanent observers. Active in over 70 countries, DCAF is internationally recognized as one of the world's leading centres of excellence for security sector governance (SSG) and security sector reform (SSR). DCAF is guided by the principles of neutrality, impartiality, local ownership, inclusive participation, and gender equality. For more information please visit www.dcaf.ch
Through the Geneva headquarters and DCAF regional field offices in Beirut and Ramallah, the Middle East Desk assists in this region with the development of security sector governance based on democracy, the rule of law, and efficient and accountable security provisions in line with international norms and best practices.
For our Operations Middle East and North Africa Division, we are looking for an exceptional leader to be our next:
Head of Middle East Desk (100 %)
Location: Geneva, with frequent travel to the region
Starting date: 1 January 2019 or as soon as possible
Reporting to the Head of Division or her/his designee, the Head of Middle East Desk will oversee the implementation of DCAF’s programmes in Middle East. Tasks include:
- Daily management and oversight of Security Sector Reform and Governance (SSR/G) projects in the region, particularly in the Occupied Palestinian Territories (OPT) and Lebanon.
- Management oversight, including support in establishing and following office budgets, of the DCAF offices in Ramallah and Beirut, as well as managing the Desk staff in Geneva.
- Project management quality control (design, planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting) of DCAF’s activities in the region.
- Applying and overseeing implementation of new administrative procedures to ensure the efficiency, transparency and accountability of DCAF’s work.
- Formulation, planning, and implementation of the MENA Division’s strategy in the Middle East both for countries where there are on-going activities and for possible new country activities in the region.
- Closely following security, political, and governance developments in the region, with a view to developing new programmes and initiatives for DCAF.
- Identifying new strategic partnerships to further DCAF’s objectives in the region.
- Consulting and collaborating with other colleagues in DCAF headquarters and MENA, in particular the Desk for North Africa
- Contributing to managing relations with donors already contributing to DCAF’s programmes in the Middle East, particularly in the field, as well as to expanding the donor base.
- Contributing to the growth of knowledge and competencies on the Middle East Desk and in the division.
- Maintain, nurture and develop the DCAF network of contacts in and on the region.
- Executing other tasks that may be assigned in relation to their work by the Head and/or Deputy Head of Division.
- Professional experience of project management (minimum 10 years), preferably in the field of governance, security and international development assistance
- An advanced degree in development, security, international relations, business management, public administration or other relevant area of studies
- Familiarity with DCAF’s areas of expertise (SSR/G) and with results-based management (RBM) frameworks an asset
- Excellent English (both written and spoken) – knowledge of Arabic and French would be an asset
- Professional experience with MENA countries
- Experience and skills in staff management
- Strong planning and analytical skills
- Interpersonal and communication skills
- Flexibility, including availability for frequent missions abroad
- a rewarding, dynamic and challenging work experience
- the chance to be part of a multicultural team of supportive, hardworking and values-driven people
- the chance to contribute to improving security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights
If you think you are a good match for DCAF and the position advertised, please send your application to email@example.com by 21 November 2018 with the subject heading ‘’HMED2018’’, enclosing:
- a one-page motivational statement in English describing your relevant experience and what you can bring to DCAF
- a concise CV (maximum two pages)
- the completed DCAF Application Form
DCAF is committed to equality of opportunity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of sex, age, disability, gender identity, religion, or ethnicity.