The Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF) is dedicated to improving the security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights. DCAF contributes to making peace and development more sustainable by assisting partner states and international actors supporting these states, to improve the governance of their security sector through inclusive and participatory reforms. It creates innovative knowledge products, promotes norms and good practices, provides legal and policy advice and supports capacity‐building of both state and non‐state security sector stakeholders.
DCAF's Foundation Council comprises 62 member states, the Canton of Geneva and six permanent observers. Active in over 70 countries, DCAF is internationally recognized as one of the world's leading centres of excellence for security sector governance (SSG) and security sector reform (SSR). DCAF is guided by the principles of neutrality, impartiality, local ownership, inclusive participation, and gender equality. For more information please visit www.dcaf.ch
DCAF’s Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) Unit strive to strengthen citizen security in the LAC region by promoting the application of good governance principles. For our LAC Unit we are looking for a dynamic and highly motivated individual to be our:
Finance Officer (50%)
Starting date: 15 February (starting date negotiable)
Duration: 1 year with possibility of extension
Under the direct supervision of the Head of the LAC Unit, the Finance Officer is responsible for the accounting and finance management of the Unit. The Finance Officer will manage the Unit’s project budgets, process payment orders, monitor the financial status of the Unit, liaise with the project office on financial matters, produce financial reports, manage audits and provide admin support as requested.
- Budget management: monitor and regularly report to the Head of Unit on the financial status of the projects and alert the Head of Unit of any financial matters that require management attention.
- Ensure coordination with the project office in Honduras on financial aspects.
- Produce financial reports as requested and submit changes/corrections to the finance department.
- Process payment orders, expense claims, invoices and other accounting documents, handle the finance related signatory books and ensures that all payments are approved on time for processing.
- Keep central electronic files for expense reports and payment orders, make photocopies and scans of transactions and maintain a physical filling system of the financial documents of the Unit for internal reference, audits and donor reporting purposes.
- Follow up on incomplete payment documents with the project team and external parties where needed and verify whether the courier documents received from the project office are complete and accurate.
- Be the focal point for audits: monitor compliance, provide information to auditors and liaise with the finance department and auditors on audit requirements.
- Provide admin support to the Unit when needed.
- A degree and/or diploma in accounting.
- At least three years of professional work experience in accounting and finance, preferably in the field of international development.
- Proven track record in managing externally funded project budgets, producing financial reports for donors and preparing documentation for audits.
- Fluent in English; good knowledge of Spanish is highly needed.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relationships in a dynamic, multi-cultural environment.
- Excellent financial management and organizational skills.
- Swiss or EU citizenship or a valid work permit for Switzerland at the time of application is a pre-requisite.
- A rewarding, dynamic and challenging work experience
- The chance to be part of a multicultural team of supportive, hardworking and values-driven people
- The chance to contribute to improving security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights
If you think you are a good match for DCAF and the position advertised, please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org by the 25. January 2019 with the subject heading “Finance Officer LAC”, enclosing:
- A one-page motivational statement in English describing your relevant experience and what you can bring to DCAF
- A concise CV (maximum two pages)
DCAF is committed to equality of opportunity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of sex, age, disability, gender identity, religion, or ethnicity.