Deputy Head, DCAF’s International Security Advisory Team (ISSAT)
DCAF is dedicated to improving the security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights. DCAF contributes to making peace and development more sustainable by assisting partner states and international actors supporting these states, to improve the governance of their security sector through inclusive and participatory reforms. It creates innovative knowledge products, promotes norms and good practices, provides legal and policy advice and supports capacity‐building of both state and non‐state security sector stakeholders.
DCAF's Foundation Council comprises 62 member states, the Canton of Geneva and six permanent observers. Active in over 70 countries, DCAF is internationally recognized as one of the world's leading centres of excellence for security sector governance (SSG) and security sector reform (SSR). DCAF is guided by the principles of neutrality, impartiality, local ownership, inclusive participation, and gender equality. For more information please visit www.dcaf.ch
ISSAT is a Department of DCAF it was established in 2008 in response to the need to increase the capacity of the international community to support Security Sector Governance/Reform (SSG/R) processes, to enhance the effectiveness and quality of SSG/R programming, and to facilitate the coordination and coherence of international assistance for nationally driven SSR/G processes. It provides practical support to the international community in its efforts to improve security and justice, primarily in conflict-affected and fragile states. It does this by working with a group of member states and institutions to develop and promote good security and justice reform practices and principles, and by helping its members to build their capacity to support national and regional security and justice reform processes. The ISSAT provides a deployable capacity to support its Governing Board Members. For more information, please see: www.issat.dcaf.ch
We are looking for a motivated and experienced individual for the role of:
Deputy Head of ISSAT – (100 %)
Location: Geneva (with regular travel)
Starting date: 1 July 2019 or upon mutual agreement
The successful applicant will play a key role, with the Head of ISSAT, in managing the Department’s programmes and providing oversight to the department’s staff. The position will also involve representational duties. Part of a professional team in Geneva, the Deputy Head will contribute to strengthening the Department’s work while promoting regional and national implementation of applicable international norms and good practices.
- Provide management oversight to departmental work programmes
- Ensure the effective and efficient implementation of ISSAT’s matrix system through coordination of ISSAT’s human resources
- Ensure effective supervision and mentoring support to staff within the Department
- Represent the Department both within DCAF and with external stakeholders
- Enable continuous improvement in departmental programme and human resource management processes
- Lead planning, implementation and management of assigned projects, including deployment to field locations
- Identify opportunities to develop new projects, build partnerships and expand the donor base for the Department’s work
- The post holder must be a proactive person with strong leadership skills and have demonstrated an ability to work as part of a multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary team.
- S/he must have extensive management experience and be prepared to represent the Head of ISSAT in official functions or as required, and to act as the lead for particular field activities.
- S/he must have experience working in politically sensitive situations and have strong diplomatic skills, with strong experience of working with bilateral donors and multilateral actors supporting SSR/G processes.
- S/he must have good communication (verbal and written), drafting and presentational skills, and the ability to network and liaise effectively with a wide range of potential stakeholders at all levels both within governments and non-governmental and multinational organisations.
- S/he must have outstanding management, organisational and planning skills and have the ability to analyse situations quickly, handle effectively multiple tasks without compromising quality, team spirit and positive working relationships, and to adapt to rapidly changing circumstances and produce workable solutions to meet customer requirements.
Additional skills or experience:
- Advanced degree in political science/ international relations, economics, business, international human rights or humanitarian law, or related field;
- Fluency in English and French, both written and spoken, is highly desirable. Additional languages considered a plus;
- Swiss or EU citizenship or a valid work permit for Switzerland at the time of application is a pre-requisite.
- a rewarding, dynamic and challenging work experience
- the chance to be part of a multicultural team of supportive, hardworking and values-driven people
- the chance to contribute to improving security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights.
If you think you are a good match for DCAF and the position advertised, please send your application to ISSATrecruitment@dcaf.ch by 29th April 2019 with the subject heading “Deputy Head of ISSAT”, enclosing:
- a one-page motivational statement in English describing your relevant experience and what you can bring to ISSAT
- a concise CV (maximum two pages)
DCAF is committed to equality of opportunity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of sex, age, disability, gender identity, religion, or ethnicity.