The Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF) is dedicated to making states and people safer. Good security sector governance, based on the rule of law and respect for human rights, is the very basis of development and security. DCAF assists partner states in developing laws, institutions, policies and practices to improve the governance of their security sector through inclusive and participatory reforms based on international norms and good practices
Headquartered in Geneva, DCAF has a global portfolio and employs over 170 highly
qualified international staff with operational activities in over 70 countries. DCAF is internationally recognized as one of the world’s leading centres of excellence for security sector governance (SSG) and security sector reform (SSR).
Its Operations Department is seeking a professional and qualified person for the following position:
Advisor on Programme Management
Reporting to the Head of the Operations Department, the Advisor - Programme Management will support the Divisions of the Operations Department. The main responsibilities will be to:
- Contribute to scoping studies and the identification of needs and programme opportunities.
- Contribute to the design and implementation of an effective project support function within the Operations Department;
- Establish a virtual community of practice that supports the development of staff capacity, skills and knowledge in programme management and various aspects of SSG/R good practice;
- Support the implementation of the DCAF approach to programme management, including through the development guidance and training for staff on programme management.
- Provide advisory support to teams throughout the process of project design and planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and lesson learning;
- Develop a lessons identification process for Ops department programmes, support the gathering and dissemination of good practice and its integration into future programmes;
- Support the roll out of RBM across the Operations department and contribute to donor reporting as required;
- Facilitate cooperation and the exchange of information between the different divisions within the department; seeking synergies with other Departments (Policy and research/ISSAT) within the organisation.
- Contribute to donor relations, the development of funding proposals, and provide support to external communications and strategy development;
- Provide reinforcement/support to the operations of the geographic divisions, as required;
- Assist the Head of Operations in the management of the Department.
Education, competencies and experience:
- Professional experience of project management (a minimum of 8-10 years relevant/programme management experience), in the field of governance, security and/or international development assistance;
- Proven capacity to align project and programme initiatives with an organization’s strategic objectives;
- Familiarity with participatory and design thinking processes, and able to apply these in order to explore problems and facilitate innovation within project teams;
- Familiarity with instruments such as IATI standards and have experience and methodological knowhow in program and budget planning within an RBM framework;
- Knowledge of lesson learning for development programmes and a track record of dealing with and successfully applying for donor funding;
- An advanced degree in development, security, international relations, business management or public administration;
- Excellent English and French (both written and spoken) – knowledge of Arabic or Spanish would be an asset;
- Professional experience working on development environments, field experience an asset;
- Knowledge of security sector reform and governance would be an asset;
- Flexibility, including availability for short term missions abroad.
DCAF reserves the right to offer the position at a higher or lower grade, depending on the candidates experience.
Starting date: As soon as possible in 2019 or upon agreement
Duration: 12 months, with the possibility of extension
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
DCAF is committed to equality of opportunity for all staff, and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of sex, age, disability, gender identity, or ethnicity.
Candidates who fulfil the aforementioned criteria are invited to their CV and a letter of motivation to email@example.com - Please mention the code « OPS2019» in the subject line of your email. Only the candidates who are selected for written test and an interview will be contacted.
The deadline for applications submission is Thursday 24 January 2019.