The Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF) is dedicated to making states and people safer. Good security sector governance, based on the rule of law and respect for human rights, is the very basis of development and security. DCAF assists partner states in developing laws, institutions, policies and practices to improve the governance of their security sector through inclusive and participatory reforms based on international norms and good practices
Headquartered in Geneva, DCAF has a global portfolio and employs over 170 highly
qualified international staff with operational activities in over 70 countries. DCAF is internationally recognized as one of the world’s leading centres of excellence for security sector governance (SSG) and security sector reform (SSR).
Its Operations Department is seeking a professional and qualified person for the following position:
Reporting to the Head of the Operations Department, the Project Coordinator/Programme Manager will support the implementation of the Operations Department activities including:
- Contribute to the design and implementation of an effective project support function within the Operations Department; including the creation of a virtual community of practice that supports and enables project management in the Department;
- Support the implementation of the DCAF approach to programme management, including guidance and support to teams throughout the process of project design and planning, implementation and monitoring, and evaluation and learning;
- Support the roll out of RBM across the Operations department;
- Support to facilitating cooperation and the exchange of information between the different divisions within the department; also seeking synergies with other Departments (Policy and research/ISSAT) within the organisation.
- Contribute to donor relations, external communications and strategy development;
- Support the operations of the geographic divisions, as required;
- Assist the Head of Operations in the management of the Department.
Education, competencies and experience:
- Professional experience of project management (a minimum of 8-10 years relevant/programme management experience), in the field of governance, security and/or international development assistance;
- Proven capacity to align project and programme initiatives with an organization’s strategic objectives;
- Familiarity with participatory and design thinking processes, and able to apply these in order to explore problems and facilitate innovation within project teams;
- Familiarity with instruments such as IATI standards and have experience and methodological knowhow in program and budget planning within an RBM framework;
- An advanced degree in development, security, international relations, business management or public administration;
- Excellent English and French (both written and spoken) – knowledge of Arabic or Spanish would be an asset;
- Professional experience working on development environments, field experience an asset;
- Knowledge of security sector reform and governance would be an asset;
- Flexibility, including availability for short term missions abroad.
- Swiss or EU citizenship or a valid work permit for Switzerland at time of application a pre-requisite.
- DCAF reserves the right to offer the position at a lower grade, if the candidates experience does not match the requirements for this position.
Starting date: 15 October 2017 or upon agreement
Duration: 12 months, with the possibility of extension
DCAF is committed to equality of opportunity for all staff, and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of sex, age, disability, gender identity, or ethnicity.
Candidates who fulfil the aforementioned criteria are invited to their CV and a letter of motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org - Please mention the code « OPS2017» in the subject line of your email. Only the candidates who are selected for written test and an interview will be contacted.
The deadline for applications submission is Friday 15 September 2017.