Police Integrity Building Programme
The Police Integrity Building Programme (PIBP) works with requesting countries in the development, implementation and evaluation of projects undertaken to establish and maintain police services that function with the highest levels of integrity and professionalism.
It provides guidance to a broad range of actors (including government officials, decision makers and senior/mid-level police managers) on how to best promote integrity within the police service. In order to ensure a holistic and effective approach to reform, the PIBP aims to coordinate and cooperate with partners in the region to strengthen judicial, parliamentary and civil society oversight.
The PIBP operates within the broader framework of DCAF police support in South East Europe, but its principles and methodology can be expanded to other geographical areas.
The PIBP strategy comprises of two strands. The first strand encompasses awareness-raising activities aimed at stimulating public debate on police integrity. The second strand includes the development of tailor-made capacity-building initiatives.
DCAF’s Toolkit on Police Integrity is published and launched in Serbia, Kosovo and Macedonia.
- A PIBP project is initiated in Macedonia. It is aimed at developing the training capacity of the “integrity unit” of the Ministry of Interior and strengthening police managers’ awareness of and capacity to deal with integrity issues.
- The first E-learning Course on Police Integrity is developed.
- The Regional Conference on Police Integrity and Internal Control in Macedonia is organised in Macedonia.
- A multi-stakeholder Roundtable on police integrity, internal control and external oversight is organised in Kosovo.
- Capacity building activities in Macedonia are continued. They include the evaluation of previous activities; further training activities; and advisory support to the Ministry of Interior for the development of an Integrity Plan.
- Advisory support for developing an Integrity Plan is provided to the Ministry of Interior of Macedonia.
- The Fifth Regional Conference for Units of Internal Control is organised in Macedonia.
- A multi-stakeholder Roundtable on police integrity, institutional cooperation and the role of the media is organised in Kosovo.
- A multi-stakeholder Seminar on priorities and responsibilities in fostering police integrity is organised in Montenegro.
- The Training Manual on Police Integrity is published.
- Two e-learning courses on police integrity for police officers and managers are developed.
- A PIBP project is initiated in Montenegro. It is aimed to strengthen the capacities of the Ministry of Interior to provide integrity training for all police personnel and to assist in the implementation of its Integrity Plan.
- A multi-stakeholder Seminar on current developments and strategic priorities in fostering police integrity is organised in Montenegro.
- An International Seminar on Oversight and Control for representatives of police oversight/control institutions from different European countries is organised in Kosovo.
- A multi-stakeholder Roundtable on police integrity, human resources management and integrity planning is organised in Kosovo.
- A workshop on Integrity Planning and Management with a focus on the draft Integrity Plan of the Ministry of Interior is organized in Macedonia.
- PIBP is initiated in Moldova. The Toolkit on Police Integrity and the Training Manual on Police Integrity are distributed and two workshops on integrity planning and management are organized.
- The Training Manual on Police Integrity is launched and two workshops on Police Integrity are organized in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- A Regional Roundtable on Police Integrity Training and a facilitators’ workshop focusing on the gender aspects of police integrity are organized in Montenegro.
- The Training Manual on Police Integrity is launched and two workshops on Police Integrity are organized in Serbia.
- A Regional Roundtable on the individual, organisational and external dimensions of Police Integrity is organized in Serbia involving SEE countries.
Training Manual on Police Integrity, Paulo Costa, Isaline Thorens, DCAF 2015
Toolkit on Police Integrity, Pierre Aepli (ed.), DCAF 2012
E-learning course on Police Integrity # 1
The “E-learning course on Police Integrity # 1” is a foundation course on police integrity for all police personnel and is based on the content of the Training Manual. It focuses on the concept of police integrity and the factors that can affect it. It is a supporting tool to in-classroom integrity training.
E-learning course on Police Integrity #2
The “E-learning course on Police Integrity #2” builds on “E-learning Course on Police Integrity #1”. It is designed for police managers and police decision-makers and is based on the contents of the Toolkit and the Training Manual. It focuses on the role of police managers in building, sustaining and strengthening integrity mechanisms/systems in the police organisation.
(*) E-Learning Courses #1 and #2 are available for integration on national platforms for e-learning in countries wherein PIBP operates.
Online E-learning course
on Police Integrity
Head of Police Programme, Southeast Europe DivisionEmail